I finally printed her picture again in an oval with a printed background around it and I think it looks much better. The flowers are mostly hand dyed silk ribbon, with a few simple flowers I tatted to give some more dimension.
The fan next to Grandma's picture is my adaptation of one that appears on many of the older crazy quilts.
The little black doo-dad is an engraved design I copied from my son's shotgun. I think on the block it looks kind of like a bat off of a Scooby Doo cartoon or something. The lace applique was also hand dyed.
Check out the detail of the large piece of lace. It broke my heart to cut into that piece, so I just cut off one end and kept the width. I try not to use patches that big, but I love, love, love that lace!
This odd looking thing is a mockingbird nest. There was no way I could embroider a mockingbird (the state bird of Texas, for those of you not from the Great State). But a few years ago I took a picture of a nest and eggs in a tree in our yard and decided that was the perfect compromise. The eggs are satin stitched in a light blue. I then tried dropping brown dye on them, but it turned into lines instead of speckles. I will probably try to fix that later on. The nest is made of couched yarns from Roxann and leftover bits of brown velvet and silk ribbons. The whole thing is super soft.