Where to start...the purple geometric design on the solid green satin to the right is from the design on my aesthetic bedside table. I think it started life as a plant stand and was painted black, but I stripped and refinished it and use it for my lamp and stuff. Ok, it mostly has needles, thread, scissors, and ribbon. But when I clean it off it's really pretty, and I try to clean it every time I finish a block.
The yellow thistle-like embroidery on the green velvet is taken from my great-great grandmother's amber Madrid depression glass that I inherited. I traced it onto water soluble stabilizer, but this time I used the paper kind and it's really, really hard to soak off. You can still see traces. I will get them off during a really patient moment. It may be a while.
The flower basket took a while, but was so much fun! All of the ribbon and lace motifs are hand dyed, including the brown velvet that makes up the basket. I really tried to layer things when I put them on, but they were all so pretty that I didn't want to cover anything up. I cut the yellow flowers, leaves, and butterfly from different larger Venetian lace pieces. I hope they all show well.
I bought the peacock last year at the Victoria, Texas quilt show from the same lady that I bought my dyes from. I have been afraid to dye it all this time because I was afraid to mess it up. I think it turned out pretty well. I used blue satin DMC floss to make french knots as "eyes" in the feathers, which made a nice accent. After I have sewn this to another block, I will tack his head down and add an eyeball. The yellow velvet ribbon that the peacock has roosted on and the turquoise lace were also hand dyed.