4/19/13

Day of the Dead

 
I have finished the first of the four Dia de los Muertos blocks.  I am using white embroidery for the seam work because I think it shows up better.  There is a lot of color and pattern going on in this block as far as fabrics, so finding a balance has been difficult.  The black lace is from my stash (I think it may have been taken off of a lampshade a while back).  I am trying to stay away from white lace on this one because of all the white embroidery. 
 The maracas are my own design and satin stitched.
 The sugar skull is from Urban Threads, with my own artistic license.  I left some stuff out and used hand dyed lace daisies for the eyes.  Now it looks just right.  Each of the four blocks will have a sugar skull of some kind in the middle.

The orange skulls keep calling to me.  I dyed red lace roses, but they didn't stand out against the orange.  What do you think of white roses?  Or nothing?  Or what??  Help!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment