4/5/13

Bits & Bobs...of Lace


To my shame (and glee!), I spent way too much time and money on lace in the month of March.  Let's blame it on spring fever.  Yes, that sounds like a good excuse.  And honestly, I really didn't spend much money because I love a good deal, and I'm a tad on the cheap side.  This isn't quite all as I've used some and forgot to grab the rest when I took pictures.

As a needle tatter, I love to find tatted lace, although it hurts my heart to know that someone put so much work into something and I paid so little for it.  But then I figure that at least it's going to a good home with someone who appreciates the work.  The yoke is a peachy-pink color.  I will probably remove the straps and use the base as a pillow ruffle someday.  There are also several little medallions and a short length of chain.

This is yards of a wheat motif.  Not sure what I'll do with it, but it is beautiful.  Possibly on the border of a wall hanging?

Which brings us to lots and lots of pretty motifs, collars, cuffs, scraps, etc.  Again, this is not nearly all of it.  Notice the acorn piece on the left.  It's not terribly long, but is very pretty. 

Another favorite is the flower basket.  It is not in the best of shape as some of the net is deteriorating.  I will have to use it on something that will get little use, and use it soon to stabilize it. 
A new friend who is a lace expert has looked at some of this stuff and said I have pieces from as far back as the 1880s-90s.  Apparently I did well.  But instead of quenching my thirst for lace, I've only whetted my appetite.

No comments:

Post a Comment