4/16/12

Eleven and Counting

Another block down!  This one is without family photos and such, but still filled with special stuff.  I must admit, though, I'm just not feeling the love for this block.  It doesn't feel right, but I really don't know what to add.  It's awkward, like the geeky kid in the family that no one knows just what to do with.  Hmmmm.  I think I was that child.  Oh, well.  I was loved and included, so I guess block 11 will be, too. 

The center is a scrap of satin and lace from my wedding dress.  My aunt made my dress, decorated a teddy bear for me from the scraps and gave me the rest.  I've been hanging on to them for 21 years.  Not sure what I'll do with those pieces, but I'll probably save them for something for my kid's weddings. 
The rose is for the United States and for England.  Funny story about this one.  I couldn't get a free hand made (ripped out twice), so I finally decided to trace/draw one on some water soluble stabilizer, embroider over the lines, and then soak it off.  Some idiot didn't think ahead far enough.  I used a ballpoint so I could see to embroider.  When the stabilizer was soaked off, the ink was left all over the satin and lace.  I almost cried.  But with my trusty hair spray, I was able to get it off.  Whew!  That was close. 
The ribbon embroidered bluebonnet is hand dyed silk ribbon and is for the Great State of Texas.
The last piece of interest is Jesus and St. Joseph.  I left the upper edge of the lace frame loose and will sew it down on the adjoining block when I put everything together.
On to #12!

No comments:

Post a Comment