2/26/13

February CQJP 2013 Block

I had, of course, planned to have all of my blocks finished within the first two weeks of each month.  And, of course, I did not take into account things like life, family, and creative blocks. 

The first roadblock was the teddy bear.  I decided to use the punch needle and make an adorable teddy bear as one of the things I think of for "family" and "home."  Easy.  Except I forgot that I really don't have the hang of needle punch.  And I ran out of the brown thread and had to wait for a trip out of town to find some more, which isn't a perfect match.  Which turned out okay because if I had used just one color, the bear would have been a bigger blob than it already is.  After lots of finagling, I added more outlining, a lace bow, and a lollipop.  I think it looks more like a bear now.

After I "finished" the block the first time, I still found it lacking.  I was trying to leave a little bit of unfinished patches to give the eye a place to rest, but it just didn't work.

The first problem was with the ink pot and quill.  They needed something, so I added "love" and changed the angle of the quill. 
The bee and his path was another after thought that seemed to click.  Now I can call the whole thing done and go on to block 3. 
By the way, the picture is the only one we have of my Bohemian grandfather before his marriage to my grandmother.  He is on the right with his older brother and sister.  I am in the process of making a family memory quilt for this years family reunion.  More on that later.
When you have time, stop by Victorian Motto Sampler Shoppe and leave a comment to enter the Spring Floss Giveaway.  Mention that I sent you and I will get 10 extra entries. 

No comments:

Post a Comment